Monday, February 23, 2015

AHS Makeup Series: After thoughts

     At the beginning of January I embarked of a journey that I had never taken with makeup. I decided to actually do a makeup series. This was something I had never done before and I thought it was going to be a lot different of an experience than it actually was. I have roughly 130 subscribers on YouTube, though even through just looking at my video view most of them do not actually watch my videos. I was trying to come up with a new way to get my viewers to start falling back in love with my videos. With my love for American Horror Story I thought why not give makeup inspired by the show a thought. So without too much planning and absolutely no indication of the project to viewers I began this series.

   I did finish the entire series up in January, which may have been a down fall and I probably should have spread them out more, but because I had put so much energy into making the videos for the series I was not left with much time to make videos to upload in between to make the series last longer. If you haven't seen the series yet and you are curious to see it you can find them all in a playlist over on my YouTube Channel. Also here are some pictures of the looks to get you all interested if you have not seen them yet.














     I do have to admit that although filming these looks generally took a long time to do they were actually pretty fun to film. I pushed myself to do some things with makeup that I had never done before and even though they did not all turn out super amazing like some trained makeup artist from the show did them I am proud of what I did.

     As I said above filming was pretty long for these looks. I want to say seasons 1,2,and 4 all took at least 30-40 minutes to do the makeup. Then I had to do the intros and outros and hope that some how I stayed in the frame of the video. That has always been my down fall when filming in the locations I do in my room is that because there is no mirror behind my camera, just a window, I can't actually see if I am in frame or not. Thankfully I did a pretty decent time staying in frame, at least compared to how it could have gone.

     Editing was how do I say it, kind of terrible. I have been editing videos on movie maker for about 4 years and I still can't seem to get all the cuts correct. Now that is mostly because I talk really fast and take like no breaths so it is hard for me to cut in the exact spot I want, because I will either cut out half of what I said, or have repeats of the same thing over and over about a million times before I even get what I want right. Which is why for all of these videos I just did voice overs. Trust me those in themselves are kind of hard, but they are not as terrible as when I try to actually talk while I do my makeup.

     The viewer response to these videos however was actually kind of sad. They didn't get very many views despite me shoving them out all over my twitter, even right before and after AHS episodes were on on Wednesday nights. For all the hard work I put into it it was sad to see that even putting out this series my subscribers did not seem to even watch them.

     Over all I would probably do another series of videos again. However I am not likely to try to do them anytime soon since it seems that not enough people are watching my videos for me to benefit from doing them. This whole series was a learning experience for me and I am glad that I did it, even if it did kind of crash and burn.

If you guys liked the videos you can leave comments on them or go ahead and leave them here. I would love to talk to you guys some more than I do.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment