Thursday, October 23, 2014

Diy Infinity scarfs

Hey girls,

So I know everyone these days are loving infinity scarfs. Being a fashion major helps with knowing that, but I also just happen to know because I myself love infinity scarfs. So today I am going to show you how you can turn your old normal scarfs into infinity scarfs.

Let't get started!

Materials:
1.Scarf(s) that you are wanting to turn into infinities.
2.Sewing machine(or fabric glue)
3.Scissors
4.Pins(if you are going to be sewing the scarf

So since I am a fashion major I have access to some really nice sewing machines on a weekly basis. So I figured I would use it while it was available to me. If you do not have the luxury of having a sewing machine you can hand sew or you can use fabric glue to hold it together.


Step one:
Pick out the scarf that you would like to turn into the infinity. I forgot to take a picture of both of mine originally but that's okay, you will get the gist of it later.

Step two:
Cut off any stringy frilly ends that are on the end of the scarf so that they don't get in the way while sewing. You can throw these away unless you plan on using them for another project, you will not be reconnecting them to the scarf.




Step three:
Put the right sides of the scarf together so that the inside of the scar if facing you. If you are having trouble telling which part is the inside look for the tags, they are always on the inside of the scarf. Then you will pin it together if you are going to be using a sewing machine. Just as I did below.



If you are gluing the scarf using fabric glue, make sure it is going to bond enough with the fabric to hold it together for a long time. You don’t need to pin it together if you are going to glue. Just make sure that everything is lined up correctly. You will also have to wait for it to dry completely before moving on the next step.

Step four:
If you are using fabric glue then skip this step. However if you are going to be sewing then this step is especially important for you. You are going to want to sit your scarf under the foot of your machine, and have it lined up so that you will be making a 5/8 “ seam. Now with this fancy dancy sewing machine I have it doesn’t say 5/8 on it. So if that is the case for you just get out a seam gauge, measure from the needle to the plate 5/8 “ and then make sure the edge of you scarf is lining up exactly at where the seam gauge says 5/8 is. Then begin to sew, make sure you do a back stitch at the beginning and end of the fabric.



Step five:
Now you will be making a seam finish on your scarf. I just took a pair of pinking shears and cut along the edge of the seam allowance. We have a surger so I could have made it look really fancy, but I know most people don’t have access to those.




Step six: (Optional)
If the tag is in a spot that you do not particularly like then take a seam ripper and rep out the stitches holding it on. Then go head and either hand sew, or with a machine, it to the new spot where you would like it to be.






And there you go it is all finished! These are the two completed scarfs. They took me about 10 minutes each. It was really simple and an easy way to turn old scarfs into infinities.


I hope you all enjoyed this DIY post. If you have any requests for blogs please leave them in the comments.
~Kaylan

No comments:

Post a Comment